GRANDMA WARE’S SKILLET CORN BREAD
1 cup white corn meal or half white and half yellow
1 heaping teaspoon flour
1 rounded teaspoon salt
2/3 cup buttermilk
1 LARGE egg
1 tablespoon bacon grease
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in mixing bowl.
- Whisk egg and buttermilk together.
- Fold wet ingredients into dry ingredients JUST until belnded.
- Grease cast iron skillet with bacon grease.
- Pour batter into skillet and level.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.
SWEET SOUTHERN CORNBREAD ala Duff Goldman
Level: Easy Total: 45 min Active: 10 min Yield: 12 mini loaves
1 cup finely-ground yellow cornmeal
6 tablespoons cake flour
6 tablespoons sugar
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
1 LARGE eggs
1/2 tablespoon kosher salt
Nonstick cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Place an 8-cavity mini loaf pan in the oven to heat up.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, cake flour, sugar and baking powder.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the buttermilk, oil, eggs and salt to a uniform color.
- Quickly but gently fold the liquid mixture into the dry mixture. It should be a loose batter, not a dough.
- Carefully remove the loaf pans from the oven and quickly spray with cooking spray.
- Divide the batter evenly among 6 cavities of the loaf pan and bake until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 28 to 30 minutes. Rotate the pans 180° halfway through baking.
- Immediately turn the cornbread loaves out of the pans onto a cooling rack to cool. This will also ensure they build a crisp crust.
OMG, I just posted a happy face and thumbs up emoji and it doesn’t show up!!
OMG, I don’t see it either – too strange 😀 It just shows an empty message.