There’s an original version of this cake from the 1980’s, but there are ever so many possibilities to build on the flavors and make your own version! BLACK FOREST is one of my ALL time favorite versions. The other is the CARAMEL APPLE PECAN. 😀 That recipe will be coming up soon. 😀
BLACK FOREST DUMP CAKE
1 LARGE can crushed pineapple, drained, but save the juice!
21 ounce can COMSTOCK country cherry pie filling
1 box MOIST devil’s food cake mix
1/2 cup sweetened coconut
1/3-1/2 cup crushed pecans
1/2 cup butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Lightly spray 9×13 cake pan with non-stick spray.
- Pour crushed pineapple into pan.
- Pour cherry pie filling into pan. You can stir to mix them up a bit, but it is not necessary. Let your OCD decide 😀
- Evenly sprinkle dry cake mix over the pineapple cherry mixture and press down lightly.
- Whisk together the pineapple juice and the melted butter.
- Pour butter mixture over dry cake mix evenly making sure to cover all the dry cake mix.
- Sprinkle with coconut and pecans.
- Bake 35-40 minutes.
- Cool slightly.
- Top with whipped cream if desired
NOTE: If you still have dry cake mix showing, use a sheet of wax paper over the top of the cake and lightly press coconut and pecans into cake mix and butter. You can use a fork instead of the wax paper, but it takes a bit longer and then you have to lick the fork at the end. 😀