Mac & Cheese is ALWAYS a favorite in MOST households! This one is a simple version that is quick to make and in the right dish looks elegant enough for company.
BAKED MACARONI & CHEESE
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1 pound elbow macaroni with ridges
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Butter a 2-quart casserole dish.
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil in a large saucepan.
- Add the salt and macaroni.
- Bring the water back to a boil and cook the macaroni until tender, about 12 minutes. Drain WELL.
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
1 shallot, diced
4 tablespoons WONDRA flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon – 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
2 cups WHOLE milk
2 cups grated sharp Cheddar (or mix with some Jack cheese if you prefer, but we like the strong sharp)
- Melt the butter in a 1-quart saucepan.
- Add shallot, sautéing until soft and translucent.
Using a wire whisk, stir in the flour and salt, stirring and cooking over medium heat until the roux bubbles and the flour turns pale brown, about 3 minutes.
- Slowly whisk in 1 cup of the milk and then whisk in the remaining 1 cup milk followed by the vinegar.
- Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens.
- Add the cheese and stir until it melts.
- Add the drained macaroni to the cheese sauce and mix thoroughly.
heaping 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- In a small bowl, stir the breadcrumbs with the butter until the crumbs are moistened.
- Transfer the macaroni and cheese to the prepared baking dish and top with the buttered breadcrumbs.
- Bake until the dish bubbles around the edges, about 15 minutes.