This looks like a plain old everyday cole slaw, but it’s a SUPER cole slaw with a bacon and vinegar base instead of mayonnaise base that really packs it with LOTS of flavor.
HOT COLE SLAW
1 medium head of cabbage (I like a mixture of red and green)**
2 carrots, shredded**
1 SMALL Vidalia onion, small chopped
6 slices bacon, diced
1/4 cup PACKED brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon Coleman’s dry mustard (optional)
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup chopped salted peanuts (optional)
- Toss together the cabbage and carrots. Set aside.
- Cook bacon pieces until crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to paper toweling to drain.
- Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of grease.
- Add onions to bacon grease, cooking until tender.
- Add brown sugar, vinegar, mustard (if using) salt and pepper, stirring until well blended and sugar is dissolved and JUST heated through. Cool Slightly.
- Toss bacon pieces with the cabbage.
- Pour cooled vinegar mixture over cabbage mix and serve immediately.
** You can completely cheat and buy the pre-shredded coleslaw mix in the produce department.
[…] HOT COLE SLAW and BBQ PULLED PORK SLIDERS […]