CRUSTED STUFFED CHICKEN adapted from HEY GRILL HEY
Crusted Chicken is stuffed with a ooey, gooey, creamy and cheesy filling of chiles and bacon with a BIG crunch on the outside. This recipe as written was for the grill, but I’ve adapted it slightly for stove top or oven. I also changed the jalapeños to green chiles for the wimps in my family. You can also use flavored cream cheese if you want to change up the flavor a bit. The type of chip you use also adds or changes the flavor accordingly. I sometimes use Fritos or Doritos.
4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 8.5 oz bag of your favorite chips – I use Kettle salt and vinegar or Lays wavy sour cream flavored chips
1/3 cup WONDRA flour
3 LARGE eggs, lightly beaten
8 ounce cream cheese, softened
2/3 cup medium cheddar cheese
4 ounce can chopped green chiles, drained WELL
1/2 cup crumbled bacon (about 8 pieces)
1 tablespoon Homemade Sweet Rub (recipe below)
2-3 tablespoons avocado oil
2-3 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper if baking.
- Use a sharp knife to slice each chicken breast almost all the way in half creating a pocket.
- Open the slice and press each breast flat.
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, green chiles, bacon, and homemade sweet rub.
- Spread 1/4 of the mixture onto each of the butterflied chicken breasts.
- Fold the breasts over and press the cream cheese mixture so it is evenly distributed within the chicken.
- Mash the chips into crumbs with a food processor or blender and pulse until the chips are broken down into fine crumbs.
- Make a dredging station by pouring the crumbs into a shallow dish.
- In another dish add the flour and season with a little paprika.
- Break the eggs into a third shallow dish and beat lightly with a fork.
- Dredge the stuffed chicken breasts into the flour first, shaking off the excess.
- Then dip into the eggs followed by the chip crumbs, coating each side well.
- Heat avocado oil and butter in a heavy cast iron skillet over medium high heat.
- Gently add chicken breasts to hot oil searing each side 5-6 minutes or until cooked through depending on breast thickness OR place on baking sheet and bake 30 minutes or until cooked through.
- Serve immediately and enjoy
¼ cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons FRESH ground Himalayan sea salt
2 teaspoons FRESH ground black pepper
2 teaspoons QUALITY smoked paprika
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Combine all of the ingredients for the rub in a small bowl.
- Stir well to combine, using a fork to break up any clumps.
- Store in an airtight container.
- This will last in your cupboard for up to a month .