COFFEE CAKE KNOTS with COFFEE ICING yields 12 knots
Prep Time 40 minutes Cook Time 20 minutes Total Time 1 hour
3 1/2 – 4 cups AP flour
1 packet Instant Yeast
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 cup warm milk
3 LARGE eggs
4 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a large mixing bowl, combine 3 ½ cups flour, the yeast, brown sugar, and salt.
- Add the milk, eggs, and butter, mixing until the flour is completely incorporated. If the dough seems sticky, add the remaining ½ cup of flour a little at a time. Cover the bowl and let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon espresso powder
1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon QUALITY cinnamon
- In a small bowl, combine 1/2 cup brown sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon.
5-6 tablespoons butter, softened Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment. On a floured surface, roll the dough out into a 14 x 16 inch rectangle about 1/4 inch thick, adding flour as needed.
- Spread the dough with 5-6 tablespoons of butter and sprinkle with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Fold the dough in half, directly over the cinnamon, pressing to adhere.
- Cut into 12-14 strips.
- Twist each strip into a loose knot, they don’t need to be perfect.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake 20 minutes, until golden.
4 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup PURE maple start
3/4-1 cup powdered sugar
1 teaspoon espresso powder
- Melt together the butter and maple syrup in a small pot set over medium heat.
- Remove from the heat and whisk in the powdered sugar and instant coffee.
- Drizzle over the knots.
NOTE: For a quicker prep time you can use store bought dough!