A new twist to the traditional green bean casserole.
CHEESY GREEN BEAN CASSEROLE serves 4
3 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons WONDRA flour
1 small shallot, FINELY diced
2 cloves garlic, FINELY minced
1/3 cup WHOLE milk
2/3 cup HOMEMADE chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
3 cups (12 ounces) frozen green beans, thawed
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup French’s fried onions, crushed FINE
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease a 8×8 baking dish. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat.
- Add shallots and garlic, sautéing 1 minute until soft.
- Whisk in flour until smooth and golden.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and chicken broth, simmering and stirring constantly 2-3 minutes until thickens.
- Stir in Worcestershire sauce and season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in cheese until smooth.
- Fold in green beans, stirring to combine.
- Transfer to baking dish.
- Sprinkle crumbled fried onions evenly over.
- Bake uncovered 30 minutes until bubbling and golden.
NOTE: For an even deeper flavor, switch out the chicken broth for your favorite lager beer.