A really flavorful and nice addition to this recipe is a batch of shallots or onions caramelized with mushrooms added to the gravy after the meatballs bake! YUMMY!
4 slices white bread, torn into small pieces
1/3 cup whole milk
2 pounds ground chuck
8 ounces deli ham, finely chopped
1 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
3 ounces FINELY grated pecorino Romano cheese
1/2 cup finely chopped yellow onion, squeezed dry of moisture
2 teaspoons – 1 tablespoon FRESH ground sea salt
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon chopped fennel seeds
1/2 teaspoon FRESH ground black pepper
4 LARGE eggs
2 tablespoons avocado oil
1 batch beef gravy (recipe below)
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Place bread pieces in bowl and pour in milk. Using your hands press bread into milk and let stand 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl arrange meat with a well in the center.
- Add the ham pieces, onions, ricotta cheese, romano cheese, ham pieces, eggs, fennel, bread pieces, salt, oregano and pepper to the well.
- Gently and gradually incorporate all together without overtaxing.
- Spray baking dish with non-stick spray or brush with avocado oil.
- Pour gravy into baking dish.
- Form meat into 1 inch meatballs and arrange in the gravy 1 inch apart, turning to coat.
- Bake 30 minutes until meatballs are golden brown and are cooked through.
1⁄4 cup butter
1⁄4 cup flour
1 tablespoon Better Than Beef Bouillon
2 cups beef broth
FRESH ground salt and black pepper, to taste
1 teaspoon Kitchen Bouquet (optional)
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and whisk together, making sure to get all visible lumps.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until mixture starts to turn light brown, be sure to stir constantly.
- Whisk bouillon and beef broth together.
- Reduce heat to low and SLOWLY add broth mixture, stirring constantly. It may spit & bubble so be careful.
- Add optional Kitchen Bouquet.
- Turn heat back up to medium.
- Continue stirring until gravy boils and thickens.
- Makes about 2 cups.