When I first found this recipe in an old magazine, it intrigued me, but I let it sit for quite some time before I finally made it. The original recipe called for red apples with the skin on and large chop. It was also served on lettuce, neither of which set well with me so I adapted to something I could eat and O.M.G. my family fell in love with it. I originally intended to serve it 2 nights in a row, but there wasn’t anything left after the first night! Serve it at your next potluck or picnic and it will go over BIG! I am going to experiment with another flavor of yogurt next time, maybe lemon or even raspberry.
ORANGE PEANUT APPLE SALAD
8 ounces creamy YOPLAIT orange yogurt
2 tablespoons QUALITY honey
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
11 ounce can mandarin orange segments, drained WELL
2 celery stalks, chopped
4 green onions, halved and sliced thin
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup dry roasted peanuts
Juice of 1 lemon
- Whisk together the yogurt, honey, salt and pepper.
- Toss apple pieces in the lemon juice.
- Discard the juice.
- Add the celery, carrots and nuts and toss well.
- Drizzle yogurt mixture over veggies and toss to coat.
- Fold in peanuts and orange segments.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve over chopped romaine if desired.