There are a lot of recipes out there for Brown Bag Apple Pie, but I honestly haven’t found one that compares to grans. ALL of those others will tell you that their pie is the most incredible one! Once again I haven’t found one that compares with gran’s old recipe. I can agree that no matter what recipe you use, the paper bag is THE key ingredient! It truly makes for a crust that doesn’t burn, but is a lightly textured and deep golden flaky crust, sweet and delicately flavored center and a crunchy topping. Don’t forget the luscious vanilla ice cream on a nice warm piece of pie!
BROWN BAG APPLE PIE
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons SUPERFINE sugar
6 tablespoons UNSALTED butter
2 ½ tablespoons COLD vodka or more as needed
- Whisk the flour and white sugar together in a bowl until well-combined.
- Cut the unsalted butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs; sprinkle with the vodka, a little at a time, mixing the dough together lightly with a fork until it barely holds together.
- Form the dough into a ball and roll it out to a circle about 1/8-inch thick.
- Gently ease the dough into pie dish, pressing to fit pie pan.
- Cut off any excess pastry with a knife.
- Finish the edge of the crust by gently pressing the tines of a fork into the dough all the way around the edge of the pie dish.
- Set the crust aside.
5 pounds Granny Smith apples – peeled, cored and sliced thinly
½ cup PACKED brown sugar
2 tablespoons WONDRA flour
2 teaspoons PURE ground cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 pinch QUALITY ground ginger
Juice from 1 LARGE lemon
2 tablespoons ginger snap crumbs
- In a large mixing bowl toss the apples with the brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and lemon juice.
- Set aside.
½ cup all-purpose flour
½ cup COLD butter
1/4 cup superfine sugar
1/4 cup PACKED brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons QUALITY cinnamon
- Combine the flour, sugars and cinnamon, whisking to combine.
- Cut in butter pieces until you have a crumbly coarse mixture.
- Sprinkle the ginger snap crumbs over the bottom of the pie crust evenly.
- Fill the pie with the apple mixture.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping mixture evenly over the filling.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Adjust shelf to lowest position.
- Place pie in a brown paper bag (grocery size) so that bag is folded over, but not actually touching the pie itself.
- Bake for 1 hour. DO NOT PEEK while baking.
- Remove from the oven, carefully remove paper bag from around pie and let cool; serve warm.
- Store leftovers in refrigerator.
NOTE: ALTERNATE METHOD TO AN ACTUAL PAPER BAG
- Tear off two 30 inch long pieces of parchment paper.
- Place them perpendicular to each other on a work surface.
- Place the filled pie in the center of the two pieces of parchment, bring the paper ends up over the pie and fold and staple the parchment paper over the pie to COMPLETELY enclose and seal in the pie inside.
- The paper should not touch the top or sides of the pie.
- Place on a baking sheet to catch any drips.