GRILLED or OVEN ROASTED BROWN SUGAR RUBBED TRI-TIP
1 whole tri-tip, about 2-3 pounds
3 + tablespoons of your favorite beef rub
6 + tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Trim silver skin from roast.
- The meat may have a thick layer of fat, some of which can be sliced off, but keep a
- good amount to help baste meat and keep it juicy.
- Sprinkle meat with your rub and massage lightly all over.
- Pack the brown sugar over the rub, pressing to adhere.
- Cover and refrigerate at least an hour or as long as overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator an hour before cooking.
- Prepare grill to high.
- Place roast on grill and sear one side well, 6 to 8 minutes, checking for flare-ups.
- Turn the roast and sear other side another 6 minutes.
- Lower to medium-high or move the meat to a cooler part of the charcoal grill.
- Turn meat again and cook another 8 to 10 minutes.
- Flip and cook another 6-8 minutes.
- The roast is ready when an instant-read thermometer reaches 130° when inserted into the thickest part of the meat.
- Cover roast with foil and rest on a cutting board 10 to 20 minutes.
- Slice against the grain.
NOTES and HINTS:
- A 2-pound roast will require about 20 to 25 minutes total cooking time.
- The trick is to carve the tri-tip against the grain, which can change directions in this cut. The roast is shaped like a boomerang. Slice the roast in two at the place where the fibers change direction. Carve each piece separately.
- Left overs make AMAZING sandwiches.
- Prepare meat with rub and refrigerate as instructed.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Add 2 tablespoons of avocado oil to a large, heavy ovenproof pan.
- Heat pan on high until pan is very hot, then add tri-tip, fat side down.
- Turn heat to medium-high and sear roast for about 4 minutes.
- Turn the roast and put the pan in the oven.
- Cook 10 minutes a pound, checking with an instant-read thermometer until it reaches 130 for medium-rare.