THIS WEEK’S PRAYER: Dear God, Thank You for Jesus. Thank You for family. Thank You for friends. Thank You for good things to eat and a warm bed to sleep. We love You! Amen.
This is a FUN recipe and much more simple than you would think. The way I make it also uses my veggies that are a bit past their prime and the bones and scraps from my Costco rotisserie chicken. It is literally a kitchen sink recipe that you can make up as you go 😀
RUSTIC TOMATO CHICKEN SAUSAGE RAGU
1 rotisserie chicken (Costco)
4 cups Roma tomatoes (preferably homegrown), rustically cut into pieces
2-3 slices bacon, chopped
2 tablespoons butter
2 shallots, FINELY chopped
4 ounces (2 large links) Sweet Italian sausage. casings removed
1/4 cup FRESH chopped Italian Pasta herbs (parsley, basil, oregano)
2 cloves garlic, minced
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1 cup Marsala wine
1-2 tablespoons QUALITY tomato paste
8 ounces tomato sauce
1/4 cup powdered Parmesan cheese
Grated Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Debone chicken and place skin, bones and tomato pieces in a dutch oven.
- Cover with 10-12 cups of water.
- Cover and simmer 3 hours.
- While bone broth is simmering, small dice chicken pieces and set aside.
- Heat LARGE saute pan/crock and add bacon pieces, sauteing until crisp.
- Remove bacon pieces with a slotted spoon and set aide to drain.
- Add butter and when melted, add sausage, herbs, garlic, and shallots, sauteing until sausage is crumbly.
- Add Marsala wine, tomato paste and tomato sauce.
- Strain bone broth through a sieve, mashing any large tomato chunks, into your saute pan with the sausage mixture. (Discard bones and skins.)
- Stir well until blended.
- Simmer over medium low heat 2 hours.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Add a cornstarch slurry if you want to thicken it up.
- Serve over prepared pasta and top with a bit of grated Parmesan cheese.