BAKED PINEAPPLE ORANGE CHICKEN serves 6
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into large bite sized pieces
1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons cornstarch
4 egg whites, beaten until foamy
1 cup FINELY GROUND Panko crumbs
1 cup Wondra flour
1 cup orange pineapple juice
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
1/2 cup Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, finely minced
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Buttered rice (I use chicken broth and scallion whites while cooking)
1/2 cup sliced scallions
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line a shallow roasting pan with foil and spray the foil with non-stick cooking spray.
- Use 3 shallow prep dishes – 1 for the cornstarch, 1 for the egg whites and 1 for the Panko Wondra combination.
- Coat chicken pieces 1st in cornstarch, then in egg whites and finally in bread crumb mixture.
- Place chicken pieces on baking sheet.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until cooked through.
- While chicken is baking, prepare sauce.
- In a medium sauce pan combine, 3/4 cup of the juice, se sugar, liquid aminos, ginger, garlic, sesame oil and red pepper flakes and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- In a small bowl whisk together 2 tablespoons cornstarch and 1/4 cup juice until smooth.
- Stir into sauce pan and simmer until thickened.
- Transfer chicken pieces to a large bowl, pour sauce over and GENTLY toss until chicken pieces are well coated.
- Serve over rice and top with scallions.
Linking up with Julie over at Back to My Southern Roots.
Yummy! Sorry I missed a few days. We were back in Fort Lauderdale again 🙂