APPLE BREAD PUDDING serves 8-10
2 tablespoons butter
3 large GRANNY SMITH apples (1 1/2 POUNDS), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
3 cups heavy cream
3 large eggs
1 large egg yolk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
16 ounce cinnamon-raisin bread loaf, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
1 LARGE croissant, broken into small pieces
1/4 cup golden raisins
4 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add apples, and cook, stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes or until softened and lightly browned.
- Whisk together cream, eggs, egg yolk, sugar and cinnamon in a large bowl until smooth.
- Stir in bread cubes and croissant pieces and let stand 5 minutes.
- Stir in cooked apples.
- Sprinkle 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar into a buttered 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Fold in bread pieces and raisins to apple mixture, and spread in an even layer into baking dish.
- Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar.
- Bake at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until light golden and center is set. Pudding will puff to the top of dish and pull away slightly from sides as it bakes.
- Cool 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with Apple Brandy Crème Anglaise and Sautéed Apples if desired.
- If you like a thinner, crispier bread pudding use a larger baking dish to make a thinner layer. Personally I like LOTS of crispy edges! Next time I’ll make it in individual ramekins!
- To make ahead, cover and chill baked and cooled bread pudding overnight. Let stand 20 minutes, then reheat in a 350° oven for 20 minutes.
Sautéed APPLES (OPTIONAL)
2 tablespoons butter
2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and diced
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat.a
- Add apples, and sauté 2 minutes.
- Stir in sugar and lemon juice, stirring often, 6 to 8 minutes or until golden.
APPLE BRANDY Crème ANGLAISE (OPTIONAL)
1 cup heavy cream
2 large egg yolks
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons apple brandy
1/4 teaspoon QUALITY cinnamon
- Whisk together cream, egg yolks, and sugar in a 2-qt. saucepan, and cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, 8 to 10 minutes or until mixture thinly coats back of a wooden spoon.
- Pour through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a bowl.
- Whisk together the brandy and cinnamon. Stir in to cream mixture.
- Fill a large bowl with ice and place cream mixture in ice, let stand, stirring constantly for 30 minutes.
- Cover and chill at least 1 hour or up to 3 days.
It was DELICIOUS!
Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!