OVEN FRIED CHICKEN
6-8 chicken pieces, legs and thighs
1 tablespoon Frank’s original hot sauce
2 cups buttermilk
1 cup Bisquick
1 teaspoon each FRESH ground Sea salt and black pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
1/4 cup crisco
1/4 cup butter
- Whisk together the buttermilk and hot sauce. Submerge chicken pieces in buttermilk mixture and chill in refrigerator for 8-24 hours.
- Drain chicken WELL. Discard marinade.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Whisk together Bisquick, salt, pepper and paprika in a large ziploc bag.
- In a large baking dish that will hold the chicken pieces in a single layer, melt the crisco and butter in the oven.
- Add chicken pieces to Ziploc bag, shaking until well coated.
- Add chicken pieces skin side down to hot butter mixture.
- Bake 45 minutes until skin is crisp.
- Turn chicken and return to the oven for another 15 minutes until cooked through.
- If desired make a gravy from the drippings and serve with mashed potatoes.