Between the weather and the isolation of the sheltering in place, we were craving some comfort food last week on a cold, rainy, windy day so I decided to make chili and cornbread. I went in search of a new beanless recipe and found this! Personally, I’m wimpier than they are and have made it MUCH milder, but we LOVED the results! I borrowed and altered, trading for what I had on hand from BUTTER-N-THYME who fantastically shared the recipe for their award winning Texas Red Chili. Any good Texan knows there are NO beans in chili! 😀
INSTA-POT AWARD WINNING TEXAS BEANLESS RED CHILI
serves 6 and only 45 minutes total time
2 poblano peppers, diced
2 1 Serrano Peppers, diced
1 Fresno chile
1 Habanero Pepper
2 Thai Chiles
1 large Jalapeno Pepper
1 Anaheim pepper, diced
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 Guajillo or Mexico Dried Pepper
1 Dried Ancho Chile, crushed
The level of HEAT will be controlled by how you handle the fresh chile peppers. I ALWAYS remove the seeds AND the ribs most of the time. YOUR 3 HEAT Options are:
- Low/Medium Heat – remove the seeds and the ribs
- Medium – only remove the seeds
- HOT – Only remove the stem from the chili pepper
CREATING YOUR BASE
1 tablespoon San Antonio Chili Powder
1 Large Vidalia Onion, chopped – reserve 1 tablespoon
6 cloves garlic, minced
2+ cups Beef stock
1.5 tablespoon Chipotle Chili Powder
1 tablespoon Ancho Chili Powder
1.5 tablespoon New Mexico Chili Powder
2 tablespoons Ancho chili powder
2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- Using food processor pulse the garlic and onions several times until you have a finely diced mixture.
- Add peppers, pulsing again to your desired consistency.
- Add dried pepper, but cover with a dish towel to prevent any mess.
- Reserve several tablespoons for garnish.
1 tablespoon granulated garlic
1 tablespoon granulated onion
1 tablespoon FRESH Ground black pepper
1 tablespoon + 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
2 tablespoons dried oregano
Shaved Mexican chocolate – amount of your liking – OPTIONAL
6 ounces Shiner Bock beer – OPTIONAL
1 pound cubed chunks of quality beef (I used chuck roast)
FRESH ground kosher salt
1/2 pound ground pork
2+ tablespoons of avocado oil
- Turn the Instant Pot Saute feature on.
- Sprinkle kosher salt all over the beef and rub into meat.
- Add 2 tablespoons avocado oil to insta-pot and allow to heat up.
- Add beef chunks to insta-pot.
- Sear the beef then remove from Instant Pot and reserve in a bowl.
- Clean out the Instant Pot pot.
- While still on saute, add the BASE to the pot and cook.
- Add the seared beef and ground pork to the pot with the cooked BASE, stirring to coat.
- Cook for around 5 minutes or you can see that the BASE has tightened up/thickened UP.
- Add the dry seasonings, spices and chocolate if using.
- Add the beef stock and beer if using.
- Stir everything together and cook for 3 minutes.
- Place the Instant Pot cover on. Make sure the plastic circle ring/gasket is installed on the cover.
- Turn to exhaust value to sealing.
- Press the Pressure Cook button and set the timer for 30 minutes. Make sure the Heat setting is set to “Normal” and the pressure setting is set to “High Pressure”.
- After 30 minutes do a quick release until the small metal PIN drops the pressure has left the Instant Pot.
- Garnish and Enjoy!