24 JUMBO pasta shells
2 CUPS shredded Mozzarella cheese
BALSMELLA (Italian Bechamel)
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4 cup WONDRA flour
2 1/4 cups WHOLE milk
1/2-1 teaspoon FRESH grated nutmeg
FRESH ground sea salt and tri-color pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in sauce pan over medium heat.
- Whisk in flour cooking 2 minutes until golden.
- Whisk in milk and nutmeg, bringing to a simmer.
- Reduce heat and cook, whisking periodically for 10 minutes until thick.
- Season to taste with FRESH ground sea salt and tri-color pepper.
1/2 pound ground beef
1/2 pound ground pork
1 SMALL onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons avocado oil
FRESH ground sea salt and tri-color pepper
1/2-1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1/4 cup QUALITY DRY sherry
- Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add onions, cooking 3-4 minutes until softened.
- Add garlic, cooking until fragrant.
- Add ground beef and pork, cooking until browned, breaking up meat pieces into fine.
- Drain off excess grease.
- Stir in sherry and cook 5-6 minutes until nearly evaporated.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Let cool completely.
- Stir in Balsamella sauce.
3 tablespoons avocado oil
1 small red onion, chopped
24 ounce can whole tomatoes
1 KNORR beef gel packet
3/4 cup moscato white wine
Juice from 1 lemon
5-6 cloves garlic, finely minced into a paste
3 tablespoons Classico sundried tomato pesto
1 teaspoon fresh ground Himalayan pink salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground red pepper
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons fresh chopped Italian flat leaf parsley
2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- Heat avocado oil in a large saute’ pan over medium high heat.
- Add onions and garlic sauteeing until tender.
- Whisk together the beef gel, wine, pesto and juice from the tomatoes.
- Add seasonings, blending well.
- Add tomatoes and gently crush.
- Bring to a SLOW boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 2 hours.
- Spread 3 cups of tomato sauce in the bottom of a 3 quart baking dish.
- Spoon meat mixture evenly into shells, arranging shells on top of red sauce in baking dish.
- Cover with foil and bake 15-20 minutes.
- Remove foil and sprinkle with Mozzarella cheese.
- Bake another 15-20 minutes until cheese is bubbling and golden.
- Let rest 5 minutes.
- Garnish and serve with remaining tomato sauce.
- I like to cook the shells the day before, chilling in the refrigerator over night so they are pliable and easy to work with the next day.
- A potato masher helps to make a finely minced meat.
- If you have any extra meat mixture I either sprinkle it over the shells or freeze to use later in a lasagna.