With summer here this recipe also works GREAT on the grill 😀
SWEET & SPICY APRICOT BBQ CHICKEN
1 cup finely chopped yellow onion
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
4 cloves, minced garlic
13-ounce jar apricot or apricot-pineapple jam
1/2 cup FRESH orange juice (1 LARGE orange)
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup jalapeno ketchup
2 tablespoons QUALITY honey
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Heat 1 tablespoon canola oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add the red pepper flakes and garlic; cook an additional 2 minutes.
- Stir in the jam; cook until the jam melts, 3 to 4 minutes more.
- Pour in the orange juice and cider vinegar, bring to a simmer, and then add the ketchup, honey and
- Adjust the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring often, until thickened, 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Transfer the sauce to a blender and puree until smooth.
- Add salt to taste.
- Remove 1 cup for basting the chicken; reserve the rest for serving.
1 tablespoon smoked paprika
FRESH ground sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
16 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
Chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- In a small bowl, stir together the smoked paprika, 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
- Place the chicken thighs on two foil-lined baking sheets.
- Lightly coat the thighs with canola oil and sprinkle liberally with the spice mixture on both sides.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through, 35 minutes.
- Turn the oven to broil.
- Baste the chicken with BBQ sauce and broil until the sauce has caramelized and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the chicken reads 160°, about 2 minutes.
- Remove to a platter, let rest for 5 minutes
- Sprinkle the chicken with parsley, and serve with the reserved BBQ sauce.