This is one of those recipes that was immediately altered (because I ended up not having the ingredients on hand that I thought I did so I substituted 😀 ) and was such a hit that we’ll never go back and make it the way the recipe directed.
SCALLOPED SWEET CORN CASSEROLE
4 teaspoons cornstarch
2/3 cup water
1/4 cup butter
1 can Green Giant white shoepeg corn
3 green onions, sliced thin
2 cups frozen corn
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper
1 tablespoon FRESH chopped thyme leaves
1 tablespoon sugar
3 LARGE eggs
2/3 + 3/4 cups WHOLE milk, divided
3 cups bread cubes (I used a buttermilk)
1 1/2 cups Crispix cereal (or rice Krispies), crushed
3 tablespoons butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a small bowl whisk together the cornstarch and water until smooth.
- In a large skillet melt butter over medium heat.
- Add corn, green onions, 2/3 cup milk, thyme leaves, FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, stirring to blend. Bring to a SLOW boil.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture and reduce heat, simmering until the moisture is absorbed and the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- While the corn portion is cooling, whisk the eggs together with the 3/4 cup milk.
- Fold in bread cubes, stirring to absorb the egg mixture.
- Fold in corn mixture.
- Transfer to prepared 8×8 baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, 30-35 minutes.
- In a small bowl melt butter.
- Fold in cereal pieces to form a crumbly mixture.
- Spread evenly over top of the casserole and return to the oven for 10 minutes until golden brown.