STOVE TOP BACON “BAKED” BEANS
8 thick-cut slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1 LARGE bunch green onions, sliced thin
1 red bell pepper, chopped
FRESH ground sea salt and black pepper, to taste (more pepper than salt since the bacon is salty)
4 garlic cloves, minced (or 1 1/2 tablespoon Garden Gourmet chunky garlic paste
2 cups KINDERS or Guy Fieri Carolina Mop BBQ sauce or
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons QUALITY champagne vinegar
Two 15.5-ounce cans navy beans, rinsed and drained
Sliced scallions, for finishing
- Leave the bacon grease in the pan and add the onion and bell pepper.
- Season with a pinch of salt, cooking and stirring occasionally for 4-5 minutes until the vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the garlic sautéing 30 seconds or so until fragrant.
- Add the BBQ sauce, molasses, vinegar and half of the bacon.
- Season again with another pinch of salt.
- Bring to a SLOW boil over medium heat and reduce to a simmer.
- Stir in the beans, simmering until thickened, about 15 minutes.
- Season to taste.
- Sprinkle with the remaining bacon and scallions.
- Serve immediately.