CHICKEN TACO CASSEROLE
6 tablespoons butter
6 tablespoons Wondra flour
1/2 teaspoon FRESH ground sea salt
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1 cup WHOLE milk
1 cup chicken broth
2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts or tenders
1 cup sour cream
1 can original ROTEL tomatoes
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained WELL
2 tablespoons taco seasoning (see recipe below)
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 bag FRITOS
1 small tomato, chopped
1 SMALL bunch green onions, sliced thin
- Spray slow cooker insert with non-stick cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in heavy saucepan.
- Blend in flour and salt. Cook until bubbly.
- Remove from heat and gradually stir or whisk in liquid.
- Return to heat and cook, constantly stirring until smooth and thickened.
- Whisk together the white sauce and sour cream until smooth.
- Add in taco seasoning, salt and pepper, to taste.
- Stir in Rotel tomatoes, black beans and 1 cup of the cheese.
- Spread mixture into slow cooker insert.
- Top with chicken pieces in a single layer if possible.
- Cover and cook on low 4-6 hours* until chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken and shred with 2 forks.
- Mix chicken back in.
- Top with Fritos and remaining cheese.
- Cover a few minutes JUST until cheese melts.
- Top with chopped tomato and green onions.
- Serve immediately.
- Time varies based on chicken breast sizes.
- I accidentally bought re-fried black beans this time actually liked it too.
Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix
1 tablespoon of chili powder
2 teaspoons of onion powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 teaspoon of oregano
1 teaspoon of sugar
1 teaspoon of salt
1 tsp cornstarch
3/4 cup water
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and use with your taco meat.
- Pour the water in the pan and cook just like you would for tacos.
- The amount above is the same amount that is in one packet of taco seasoning mix at the store.